Saturday, November 20, 2010

Installing Sims 2 onto Hard Drive/Moving ';My Documents';?

Because my laptop is low on memory (and is freaking out, on top of that), I have decided to install my Sims 2 game (and the expansion packs) onto an external hard drive. However, I want to keep the saved files from my previous game. I also want to be able to play the game DIRECTLY from the Hard drive (as in, I won't need to have it plugged into the computer I used to install the Sims stuff to play Sims).



After a bit of question-asking and research, I found out that, if I transfer the ';my documents'; folder onto my hard drive, I could play the game the way I want.*



Now, I have two computers: my laptop (on the frizzt and not with me at the moment) and my parents' laptop (which I'm on right now). I have already installed the Base Game onto my hard drive using my parents' laptop (so, when plugged into that laptop, I can play the base game). I want to install the expansion packs on this computer as well, because I'm impatient and want to play. I have the saved files with me on a thumb drive, and I'm ready to move them onto my hard drive.



NOW I get to my question. If I install the same expansion packs that I currently have on my laptop onto my hard drive using my parents laptop, could I transfer the ';my documents'; folder from MY LAPTOP into the hard drive to get the wanted results WITHOUT causing problems? Or would it be better to wait until I have my laptop and install everything, base game included, from there and then transfer the ';My Documents';?



I appreciate any help, and I hope I have this in the right section. Also, if you need any more info, feel free to ask (but be specific on what you need).



*How to transfer My Documents to External Hard Drive to: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?titleInstalling Sims 2 onto Hard Drive/Moving ';My Documents';?
Moving your documents folder to an external drive carries risks. A failure to connect to the drive can then make the system unstable, and can make it impossible to run the machine correctly. This would stop you from being able to fix the problem. There are serious issues with security settings, which can actually cause loss of data. If you are prepared to risk that just to play games, you can do this. Do NOT do this using any machine except the one that will be using it, as this will set unreadable security sids in relation to your own machine.Installing Sims 2 onto Hard Drive/Moving ';My Documents';?
You seem to know enough about computers, so to sum it up, YES. You can. Reading the How To you posted, that shows you exactly how to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment