Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I designate a default drive for new programs?

I have two partitions on my hard drive. One was primarily for the operating system, Windows XP Professional, SP3. I install programs to the other partition. However, my kids download and install programs and music which seem to default to the system drive. Can I do something to change the default location of new programs, downloads and files?How do I designate a default drive for new programs?
as default windows will install everything to your C: drive which is where your os is located. you can change this in xp there is a good tutorial at the following link



http://www.ehow.com/how_5073179_change-iHow do I designate a default drive for new programs?
Do this at your own risk but this worked for me:



Playing around with Regedit is not the best idea. Backing up the reg would be a good idea before doing this:

Go to 'Start%26gt;Run

Type: regedit

Highlight: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Go to 'file%26gt;Export' and save the file wherever you want.



For your issue do the following:



Go to 'Start%26gt;Run

Type: regedit

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wi?br>
In this folder find 'ProgramFilesDir' this should show C:\Program Files

Change this to whatever location you want:

For example: E:\Program Files

Changing the Drive letter to whatever yours is currently assigned



Machine may need a restart after this.



If something does go wrong, I檓 pretty confident it wont, just go to Regedit again and go to 楩ile%26gt;import?and import the file you backed up at the beginning.





Hope this helps.
I'm thinking that you are working on a laptop. I have been seeing some laptop hard drives with the factory HD setup as 50/50 - with the Recovery partition on the second half. Why on earth they are doing that I don't know.

What I have done for my clients is to repartition the HD so that only a small percentage of the drive is the Recovery Partition. Nothing is supposed to be put in that drive anyway.



Hope this has been of some additional help to you.
  • Do you have to use a quilt in the cot bed
  • web hosting providers
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment