Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I change the drive letter that is associated with my external hard drive?

When I first started using it the drive letter was F: and everything worked fine. I had to download some info onto a coworker's thumb drive and that's when it changed. I plugged his thumb drive in before I plugged my external hard drive in and every since the drive letter is G:. Every program I installed on the external hard drive has the location of F: so as a result if I click on the short cut it cannot find the program. How do I change the drive letter back to F:?How do I change the drive letter that is associated with my external hard drive?
If using XP, goto start, control panel, click on admin tools, then computer management, then click on disk managment, then right click the letter of the drive you want to change and left click change drive letter.How do I change the drive letter that is associated with my external hard drive?
No problem, glad that worked out for you.

Report Abuse


Did you try taking out the hardrive and putting it back in/ reattaching it?
Well somehow your drive name in computer has changed.Now do onething when ever you try to run program whic earlier was instaled in f drive will search for f drive now window will show you to search manually then give window a path from browse option and it will run as usual.
USB Drive letter assignment application.



http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html



Or use the follow step by step with pics to see how to do it.



http://www.jmu.edu/computing/helpdesk/se
Right click on ';My Computer';.

Select ';Manage';

on Computer Management, click on ';Disk Management';

on Volume (G:), right click it to get ';Change Drive Letter and Path';

No comments:

Post a Comment