Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do i synchronize my internal and external hard drive?

I've just bought an external hard drive. Would like to use it as a back up. I've downloaded SyncBack Freeware, as i had been recommended to do so. Call me stupid, i thought i just pick C-driver as source and E as destination. But i got a warning I shouldn't back up my system drive. Can somebody tell me how to do it instead. I want all my files on the external HD and want to make sure if i change anything later on my laptop it would be saved on the external drive. How does it work? What are profiles for and which one should i choose. Shall I make a back up profile first and synchronizing profile after or no need for both? How does synchronizing work, if i change the location of a file, will it change it on the external drive, or will it just copy to the location as well? Excuse me for my ignorance, i would appreciate any help.How do i synchronize my internal and external hard drive?
the first question is WHY

synchronizing all of your C into E is pointless, in the sense that if C crashes, your external hard disk E cannot take over.



you should only synchronize your DATA, not your programs.

Use Syncback and point to the folders that contain the files you actually use and change, such as the MY DOCUMENTS folder.How do i synchronize my internal and external hard drive?
Hi I agree with wcogent. Use your sync software to sync only your data (my documents, downloads, email, favorites). Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment