Tuesday, May 31, 2011

How I fix my Java for my Linux HP Mini?

I bought an HP mini that runs on Linux and for some reason the java will work with some sites, but not with others. I went to the Java website and tried to verify the java version and it said that I do NOT have the recommended version. I download it, but can not figure out how to install it. The instructions say:



To install the Linux RPM (self-extracting) file



Follow these instructions:



1. At the terminal: Type:

su

2. Enter the root password.

3. Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:

cd

For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:

cd /usr/java



Note about root access: To install Java in a system-wide location such as/usr/local, you must login as the root user to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, install Java in your home directory or a subdirectory for which you have write permissions.

4. Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type:

chmod a+x jre-6u%26lt;version%26gt;-linux-i586-rpm.bin

5. Start the installation process. Type:

./jre-6u%26lt;version%26gt;-linux-i586-rpm.bin



This displays a binary license agreement. Read through the agreement. Press the spacebar to display the next page. At the end, enter yes to proceed with the installation.



I cant figure this out. How do I get to the ';terminal';? Am I installing the correct java app? If I am, How do I actually get it installed?



The System tab says:



HP MIE

Release 1.0 (None)

Kernel Linux 2.6.24-19-lpia

GNOME 2.22.3



Hardware

Memory: 1001.7

Processor 0: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz

Processor 1: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz



System Status:

Available Disc Space: 1.8GiBHow I fix my Java for my Linux HP Mini?
If you are knowledgeable enough to know how to open a terminal in linux I don't think yuo will have much success in installing java. You will always have the best success with all software that is prepared for the version of linux that you are using. If you try to use any software from another version of linux or a ';generic'; linux version of software you will son have problems with missing dependent files and conflicts between files.



Search through the menu on your system for the add and remove programs and use that to try to find java for your version of linux. You system will operate much more smoothly.

Here is a basic tutorial for using the terminal. The terminal is a program that open a window where yuo can type dos like commands. I would suggest that you read both websites before trying to enter the commands.

You could also press the Ctrl and Alt and F1 keys all at the same time and you will have a new screen open where you can type your commands. Ctrl and Alt and F6 or F7 or F8 will get you back to your desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment