Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Adobe flash player has stopped an unsafe operation - using flash offline?

I'm trying to build an electronic phrasebook for a few different languages. I'm using html to do this, so it can be setup online and also the entire directory can be downloaded to someone's hard drive to use off-line.



The problem I'm encountering is playing sound clips. I've been using using this sound player: http://www.varal.org/media/niftyplayer/ , because it allows me to load and initiate new audio files into the already embedded mp3 player.



However, when I try to do this in an html file stored on my hard drive, it does not let me. It says Adobe has stopped un unsafe operation. A file in ....... location is trying to access the internet-enabled file in ....... location. Apparently I can change the settings to allow it, but that is not an option b/c this whole phrasebook needs to be very portable and easy to use for people with no knowledge of how to really do anything with their computer. Just unzip and open the main index file.



Is there a way I can somehow get this to work?



ThanksAdobe flash player has stopped an unsafe operation - using flash offline?
Not easily, no.



That's just how Flash security works: local Flash files aren't allowed (by default) to access remote files, and remote Flash files aren't allowed to access local files.



I'm assuming your audio files are located on a remote server? (and you're doing something like niftyplayer.swf?file=http://x.com/a.mp3 )



If the audio files were on your local computer, and you referenced them as niftyplayer.swf?file=clip.mp3, you wouldn't have this problem.



If that's not an option, the only two ways are 1) add permissions manually, 2) create an installer *.exe to install a trust file

No comments:

Post a Comment